20090910

you're standing too close

A coworker of mine has an uncomfortable habit of sitting or standing much closer to me than I am comfortable with. Fortunately, we don't end up doing the old joke where I back up, he steps forward, I back up, ... all the way around the room. I generally only need to back up once or twice. Thank goodness. If we did that in the rolling office chairs in which we sit, it'd look awfully silly.

But an article in time appears to show some evidence of whence that tendency comes.

I must admit to a bit of skepticism about the article, however. It completely ignores cultural tendencies in this sphere. People from the middle east, for instance, have a much smaller "private space" than europeans or americans.

Why is that? I'm not sure, but it most go back an awfully long ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment