20130813

Crushin' It

Been spending the last week post-processing photos from my trip the week before (to the Oshkosh Air Show). Still a ways from finishing that, but wanted to post a few small items. Will hopefully discuss trip in more detail soon.

Lately, I've been playing both Candy Crush and Bejeweled. Same game, right?

Well, at the beginning of the game, outside of power items, it certainly looks like it. But the more I play Candy Crush, the more impressed with how they've managed to differentiate themselves. Variable goals, discrete levels, variable playing-field shapes, and tiles with meanings (for those who've played, I'm talking about chocolate, jelly, wrappers, and cages. And maybe others I haven't found yet).

Each level, instead of being identical except for match goal, has one of four different types of goal. Part of what drove me to write this was finally noticing that the color of a level in the layout map tells you what kind of goal that level has. So far, the goal types I've seen are: orange, points goal in set number of moves; blue, clear jelly spaces; purple, points goal in time; and green, getting ingredients down to the bottom (loosely interpreted, sometimes) of the board. Each one also has a different layout, and falling is generally from top to bottom. But sometimes there will be wraparound, where the bottom of one column will fall into the top of another column. This makes some levels very complicated.

And a number of replays, based on time (and amount you're willing to spam your facebook friends. Probably makes my friends glad I don't have a facebook account), as the limit on how much you can play. That works well for me, as I never want to play more than fifteen or twenty minutes at a time.  I've been enjoying playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment