20140902

Political amusement

Was out in my yard yesterday, picking weeds while my daughter was riding her bike.  A guy walked up, said he was running for Congress, and was going house to house.

I wasn't too terribly sure what to make of that to begin with, as he was walking and looked hot and sweaty.  Shows dedication, for sure, if not the more buttoned up image usually associated with Congressmen.

But he then immediately asked if the hose worked, so he could fill up his water bottle.  Well, no problem there.  No comment beyond a simple "yes" when I asked if he was looking to replace Moran.  Then just said to check out his website, and left me a flyer as he continued on.

Two things of amusement there.  The flier was written like a letter, and the second paragraph said, "I stopped by today to hear your concerns and share my vision...".  If so, it was well-concealed.

The other point was that there's no indication of party affiliation (not even an indication of 'Independent').  That immediately led me to believe 'Republican', this being a very blue district.  And, now, after looking at his website, I think that's probably right, although I don't see any indication there, either.

But his policy positions seem pretty right-leaning.  They're couched in fairly moderate language, but there's some potentially scary stuff there (school vouchers, mention of "clean coal", support for fracking, support for middle east interference (read: war-mongering), and a halt in all government services as all agencies do cost-analysis of all existing regulations).  He also mentions involvement in the Simpson-Bowles Commission, and then pretends that there was a plan that came out of that (a common fallacy, to be sure, but if he was even remotely involved, then he knows that that's a lie).

I'm also amused that he mentions being a senior congressional staffer working towards bi-partisan solutions.  The last ten years have set new records for low levels of bi-partisan effort, simply due to one side having no interest in solutions (it's much easier to work against any solution, and then rail against the ability of the government to deliver solutions.  It astounds me how well that strategy, combined with gerrimandering, has worked).  So if he wants to claim that, it does not redound in his favor.

Anyway, good luck to Mr Edmond, but he certainly does not have my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment