20120507

Super moon?

Saturday evening, my dad and I went down to the Tidal Basin to try to get some pictures of the moon rising over the Jefferson memorial. I actually wasn't aware of it being a "supermoon" at the time; I'd just looked at the spot from which it was rising, and decided that it was a good time to get the moon rising.

Unfortunately, when we got there (late, to boot), we found that a) there were already lots of photographers there and b) the cloud cover had not abated.

We sat around for a while, and gave up after twenty minutes or so. But we did take a shot of the MLK Memorial with my dad's view camera; we'll see how that comes out. I was kind of upset; I turned around while we were working on the MLK shot, and saw the moon briefly. But by the time I could get my camera turned around and moved (there were trees in the way), it had disappeared once again.

It was disappointing, but using the view camera was interesting. We used my D4 both for metering the shot (my dad forgot his meter), and for timing the exposure (it was fifteen seconds, and the view camera would only go up to a second on a timed exposure). I need to look up how to do longer than thirty second exposures with the D4, though. Sunday morning I ended up with some underexposed shots, due to the thirty second limit on timed exposures for the D4. I'm hoping they're still usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment