20120120

Going out of control

One reason I didn't watch the Caps game earlier this evening was that we were able to get out to watch a movie. We didn't see a lot of options, but Haywire looked interesting to both of us.

It was kind of amusing, during the trailers. We saw one for something called Safe House, whose tag line is 'No one is safe'. And then, a couple movies later, we saw another trailer for one called 'Safe', which looked like it should have been a fourth Transporter movie. Amusing contrast there, though.

What did I think of Haywire? I mostly liked it. I had a little trouble keeping track of names, and that made it a bit more confusing than it should have been. I liked what they did to try to reduce that confusion, although it didn't make a whole lot of sense, really (a covert operative, government or private, can't just give out those sorts of details. It gets you thrown in jail).

Gina Carano did a very good job as Mallory. Her fighting seemed a lot more believable than most, and now that I look up her background on IMDB, I can see why (MMA and Muay Thai fighter). Her style was a lot more believable than, say, in Hanna (also helps that she's a lot bigger than Saoirse Ronan).

Anyway, as I said, I was a little confused about a couple of pieces. Partly, it was losing track of a couple of names, but I was also a little confused about who the government types worked for. I'd actually like to see it again, just to track the names, and figure out who Michael Douglas' and Antonio Banderas' characters work for. I'm not sure if it all fit together.

I did like what they did with the cinematography. I thought that a couple of times in the movie; although I don't think I can describe what, exactly, was different or significant with what they did.

Another thing I thought was good was that the characters could get hurt. (The bad part, there, was that they forgot about one injury in one scene.)

Still, I enjoyed it overall, and might well buy it when it comes out (as few opportunities as we get to see movies in the theater, I'm not going to see it again there. Especially with 'Secret World of Arrietty', 'Hunger Games', 'Pirates! Band of Misfits', and 'Brave' all coming out soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment