20120102

A Very Muppet Movie

I went to see the recent Muppets movie a couple of weeks ago with a friend.

It started out pretty decent, with big, energetic numbers, although showing the ensemble players being tired afterward kind of spoiled some of the effect. Doing that was kind of funny, but in a way that went against what they were trying to do. It kind of defeated the purpose of having the big, ensemble number, I guess.

But it quickly went off the rails when Gary and Walter left town. It just didn't feel like a Muppets production from there on. It's partially because it was trying to be dark for quite a while. It also played up how they were setting up various parts to get the gang together, and such. I have a very low tolerance for such fourth-wall-breaking lines. They work in spoofs, and that's about it.

And I think that kind of points to why the movie didn't really work for me. It was trying too hard to be serious.

At least, I think that's what it was. What is certain is that it didn't have the original Henson magic. It was decent early, and had a few moments later. And that's about it.

In any event, it didn't do much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment