20141015

Gamergate thoughts

I haven't been following the gamergate "debate" too closely at all.  In fact, without John Siracusa's retweets and discussions on ATP, I probably wouldn't have heard of it at all.

As someone who's mostly an outsider (in that I haven't been big into videogames for years) to the gaming community, it seems clear to me that there is a very small percentage of women involved in development.  And that there are very few prominent women in games (game characters, that is).  I have a hard time seeing that as debatable.  And I can't see why that would ever be a good thing.

It's a little bit like the gay marriage debate to me.  What possible harm is it to you that someone is dissatisfied with the status quo, and wants to make things better?  It isn't going to make for major changes for most developers.  It certainly isn't going to do anything to any titles already produced.  So what's the big deal?

But ignoring all that, going to this point is well beyond the pale:
The police just came by. Husband and I are going somewhere safe.


I have no idea who did that (and have some skepticism that it will become known), but people like that have no place in civilized society.  Heck, they don't have any place in uncivilized society.  I hope that this sort of treatment of women will be long gone by the time my daughters are grown up.

It's just... horrifying that someone would respond to peaceful speech with such pathological responses.  I have to wonder what's wrong with someone that would lead to such a reaction.  A mental hospital seems a reasonable destination for such a (loosely interpreted) person.

As for you, Ms Wu, I'm very impressed with how you're handling this.  Lord knows, I wouldn't do nearly as well.  You deserve much, much better, and I hope you get it.  And I hope the people causing you such pain and aggravation get their just desserts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment