20110830

Life Suppositions

One thing I forgot to mention in talking about Lost in Translation, yesterday: there was a scene where Johansson and Murray are talking, and she says, "I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do". I didn't think anything of it last time I watched the movie, but it bothered me this time, because I think it's entirely the wrong way to look at things.

"What can I do that I enjoy doing, and will make me enough money to live on" is, I think, a much better question. Or, if money is less of an issue, perhaps something closer to, "What can I do to help other people", which might well lead to something like the Peace Corps. (And as a side note, while I never did, or even considered, the Peace Corps, the people who I've met who've done it have uniformly impressed me. I'd definitely recommend it, if you're thinking about it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment