20140603

Jokulhaups?

I recently watched Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, and found it very off-beat, and weird, and pretty interesting.

It stars Steve Carell, to whom I have very varied reactions, and Keira Knightley, whom I generally like.

The world is about to end (I believe it had three weeks left, when the movie began), and the two neighbors meet for the first time.  A day or two later, they are together forced out of the apartments where they've been living.

Dodge (Carell) decides to seek out an ex-girlfriend who sent him a promising letter, and Penny (Knightley) decides to accompany him to atone for holding on to that (misdelivered) letter for far too long.

They run into a number of people along the way, dealing with the impending end in a variety of ways, while they work, together, to deal with it in their own.

Essentially, you've got a love story guaranteed not to reach "happily ever after".

Will Dodge find the ex-girlfriend?  Will Penny be able to get in touch with her family (in England)?

A great deal of fun, and some other emotions, arise from seeing how other people are handling things, and how they are.

The end is pretty predictable, but it's a bit of a roller coaster, emotionally, along the way.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Not sure if I'll watch it again, but I'm glad I did see it once (kind of like Dead Poet's Society, thinking about it.  Slightly less depressing ending, though, surprisingly).

Actually, perhaps that parenthetical is important... It really didn't feel all that depressing at the end, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment