20140602

The Comparative Kiki

I listened to the dub for Kiki's delivery service last weekend, finally.  As a translation, it wasn't too bad.  What drove me nuts were that a) Jiji never shut up and b) they added a metric truckload of sound effects that had no real purpose.

I don't understand the reasoning behind either of those decisions.  Jiji did not seem to be underplayed in the original, and there were plenty of sound effects to know what was going on (I should know; seeing it raw without understanding Japanese, as I did the first several times I saw it, maximizes demand on crutches like sound effects).

I was wondering which version of the dub I have, and discovered that I placed the order all the way back in 2003, so it's definitely the old one.  So maybe the new one's a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment