20130624

Practical lighting

Most of the photography books have been long on theory, and short on practicality, but a book I just ran across breaks that trend quite well.  The book is Shooting in Sh*tty Light: The Top Ten Worst Photography Lighting Situations and How to Conquer Them (yeah, the title is a bit much), and it's focused on how to work with bad lighting situations.

The only negative I can say is that some of the solutions discussed require having an assistant to hold things for you (pretty unlikely, if you aren't a pro).

But I still think it's a pretty neat book, and I can't wait to read the rest of it (I've gotten through two of the ten sections, so far).

Update: I forgot to mention that one of the things I liked was that it said that the first thing you should do, is, if it looks like a sh*tty lighting situation in advance, try to convince the customer to change the setting (timing, placement, etc) so that it won't be so bad.  But then it acknowledges that sometimes you can't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment