20140514

The beats go on

I'm somewhat bemused (and confused) about the rumors that Apple is buying Beats for $3.2B, likely making the heads of Beats executives at Apple.

I'm really not sure what to make of it; Beats is certainly successful for what they're doing.  I wouldn't buy them, as my priority for headphones is sound quality, not looks.  But apparently I'm way into the minority on that one.

It seems, to me, that it's way out of character for Apple.  Not just because it's a huge-dollar acquisition (as noted many other places, their previous-largest purchase was NeXT, at $400M), but also because I can't see how it's got anything essential for Apple.  Apple's purchases are normally ones that put a key piece of technology under Apple's control.

So from both of those perspectives, it feels weird.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Apple sees the streaming service as being vital, somehow.

When I first heard about this, I was sure it was a joke, or written by someone with no clue about Apple.  But I've now heard it from so many places, and with enough specific details, that I guess it must be happening.  I am curious to see what comes of it (replacing the B logo on the sides of the cans with Apple logos?).

No comments:

Post a Comment